Wednesday 14 March 2012

Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass



The 2010 model I am currently playing is my everyday bass, I has a maple neck and fingerboard the standard 20 frets with the big black inlays that along with the black binding give it its vintage look. It’s a maple body with a polyurethane clear coat finish. At first thaught it would’ve been nice to see a nitro finish but for the money and considering how often I use this bass the polyeurathane is much more hardwearing so its probably a good thing here. Standard fender style hardware in chrome with the clover look tuners and standard volume volume tone controls, the Duncan designed pickups go well with the overall aesthetic of the guitar.

This is a great guitar suited to most genres, its got a very bright and breezy sound in comparison to the Ibanez ART bass I traded in to get this. The wood looks great with the natural finish. A big full sound is achieved with the Duncan designed pickups and I have to say I was supprised much better than any other squire bass ive played in the past.  Other than this typical jazz bass tone is available in heaps, warm  full tone from the neck and that top end punch that sounds great with finger style funk stuff.

Factory setup was reasonable I make a point of going over every thing with a fine tooth comb pretty soon after I get it. Intonation was reasonable and relief in the neck was good but the action was a little high for me and the strings on it were cheap but it’s an easy fix.

When reviewing cheaper basses it’s easy to look at information like this and get hung up on details like the action and the setup but don’t forget that its easy to do yourself and if your spending your money in their establishment they probably should set it up for you so always ask if they will do a free set up when you buy it.

I have been using this bass as my main guitar for quite a while now and have never had any issues with it. I origionally bought it as a backup to my MIM 5 string fender but now use it as my main bass since its so easy to play.

So In summary this is an excellent bass for the beginner looking to pay a little more for a quality instrument or as a backup and even as a main bass for the more advanced. It competes well with the Mexican basses I have owned. The looks of this bass are amazing and the build quality is almost perfect. 

This is by far the best squire bass I have played and would definitely recommend it!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Hypersmash.com